IPv6 deployment excuses

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Fri Jul 1 19:52:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am in contact with a couple of network operators trying to prod them
to deploy IPv6, I figured that 10 minutes to send a couple of emails
was worth the effort to make them "see a customer demand" (now none of
them can use the excuse that nobody has asked for it!), but the
replies I got were less than impressive to say the least.

I was wondering if you guys could summarise your experiences with
people who make excuses for not deploying IPv6? I regularly see a
specific person saying "we can't deploy it because X" followed by you
guys "correcting them" and telling them how to deploy it without the
problems they claim they will have, but that is only a small snapshot
of the people who bother to post about their ignorance in public. I
suspect there is also a lot of selection-bias in the NANOG membership
base but you deal with a lot of enterprise networks off of this list
so probably have broader experience than the NANOG archives.

Can we have a thread summarising the most common excuses you've heard,
and if they are actual problems blocking IPv6 deployment or just down
to ignorance? Perhaps this could be the basis for an FAQ type page
that I can point people to when they say they don't know how to deploy
IPv6 on their networks? :)

- Mike Jones