Netflix NOC? VPN Mismarked?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 28 22:17:46 UTC 2016

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 09:45 , Chris Knipe <savage at savage.za.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
>> There's little reason to buy a newer TV more than every 5 - 10 years, so
>> many TVs will be stranded until (if) they have some unifying firmware.
>>

> Well the TV is also meaningless if the CPE, and (at the very least) service
> provider don't support IPv6.  And yes, that is unfortunately reality.   If
> you look beyond the US and EU, and maybe Brazil, the rest of the world,
> unfortunately, is FAR from IPv6 adoption, and that *is* reality.

Not so much as you claim…

It’s true that Africa, middle east, and Russia are in a  horrible state.
It’s true that India IPv6 deployment is non-existant.
However, Canada, Japan, Indonesia and Malaysia have significant
IPv6 deployment.

China has some (thought not as much as we would all like.

Ecuador is doing quite well.

Peru has good penetration, but their IPv6 is about as reliable as their IPv4.

> Hence my initial comments... It's going to be many more years, before IPv6
> is the "fix" for any real problems currently experienced with IPv4.  Sad,
> but unfortunately, true.

I think that the adoption rate in those places will accelerate rather quickly
as the true cost of maintaining IPv4 becomes more visible to them.

In the US, for example, there were several small deployments at first,
then, after trials and such, Comcast and several other large providers went
from very little deployment to general availability to nearly 100% of their
customers within a few months.

I don’t see any reason that can’t happen elsewhere. Especially as the path
to IPv6 deployment is becoming more and more well known and more and more
experience is shared among operators and technicians.

Owen