Netflix NOC? VPN Mismarked?

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Tue Jan 26 20:03:46 UTC 2016

On Sun 2016-Jan-24 22:32:42 -0500, Ryan Gard <ryangard at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Per chance if someone @ Netflix could reach me off list? Seems that as of
>this weekend there's a number of our clients (residential internet) who are
>unable to utilize Netflix directly, instead being presented with a message
>advising them they're using a VPN service... Have a feeling that our IP
>blocks were lumped in with someone somehow...
>
>Thanks!

We had a similar issue, though in that case we found:

1.  The user had been sharing the account between 3 different households
across (a) 2 different IP blocks within our network and (b) with a 3rd user
on an entirely different ISP in the US (we're in Canada), with multiple
devices in use by some locations.

2.  The sites across which the same account was being shared had different
connectivity options, with one of those having a decent chunk of MTU
overhead on the connection (l2tp + pppoe etc.), perhaps raising some flags
in Netflix's detection due to smaller MSS?

3.  Using the same account on different IPs on the same provider also got
blocked.

4.  Using a different account on the *exact same IPs* did not have any
streaming issues, suggesting Netflix was flagging the account rather than
(just) the IPs.

Dunno if that helps, but it may be beneficial if Netflix can provide some
guidance on the logic in the "this is behind a VPN/proxy" detection (though
I am assuming they likely won't disclose that so as not to give away
secrets to the other party in the arms race).

--
Hugo

hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):
CF18 15FA 9FE4 0CD1 2319 1D77 9AB1 0FFD B178 313E

(also on Signal)