Multicast stream monitoring tools

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Mon Jan 25 10:44:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016, Murat Kaipov wrote:
> Hello folks!We have an issue with some multicast streams. For some reason picture is very unstable in evening, during internet usage peak times. We have had monitor our links and uplinks and there wasn't any oversubscribtion. I looking for usefull multicast stream monitoring tool now. Any suggestion?Thank you!

one of my customers had issues with their iptv distribution and we consulted this guy.

     http://lutz.donnerhacke.de/Blog/Ueberwachung-von-Fernsehen-IPTV

The solution he has, subscribes iptv channels on monitoring boxes and uses all kinds of
heuristics to look into not just the packates but also the video inside the multicast streams.

It turned out that in the specific customers case packet reordering was the issue which was
easily eliminated.

Hacing monitoring in place is also great for finger pointing issues where you want to prove
that it's not your network but the tv station
screwing up the signal.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2