Peering Exchange

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jan 26 19:12:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Nick Ellermann wrote:

> Colton,
>
> We are a member on the Equinix IX. Maybe best for you to speak to an
> Equinix SE on the topic, but there are two main connection methods. In
> laymen's terms you can be a member on the switch and then build peering
> relationships within any other network that will have you. Meaning, you
> reach out to them or they reach out to you via their contacts in
> PeeringDB and setup a typical BGP session but usually only exchanging
> private routes. Therefore you are are not providing transit to the
> other.
>
> The other option Equinix offers is their MLPE (Multi-Lateral Peering
> Exchange). Essentially from what we understand you peer once to
> Equinix's router and all other participants and you are able to exchange
> traffic. It's not an all or none, you can use filtering to exclude
> specific ASNs. We are not a member of this service today.

It's reasonably common to do both, since not everyone on the IX will peer
with or advertise all their peering routes to the route-servers.  Peering
with the route servers (what Equinix calls MPLE) is a good way to "jump
start" your use of the IX by immediately getting at least a degree of
peering with multiple networks established without the coordination and
config needed to peer with each network individually.