The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 01:53:31 UTC 2016

On 21 January 2016 at 19:42, Matthew D. Hardeman <mhardeman at ipifony.com> wrote:
> An excellent point.  Nobody would tolerate this in IPv4 land.  Those disputes tended to end in days and weeks (sometimes months), but not years.
>
> That said, as IPv6 is finally gaining traction, I suspect we’ll be seeing less tolerance for this behavior.

Nope.  Most user-facing apps are in support of Happy Eyeballs.

When Facebook's FB.ME was down on IPv6 just a short while ago in 2013,
it took DAYS for anyone to notice.

  http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2013-May/005571.html

Lots of popular sites publish AAAA with non-reachable services all the
time, and still noone notices to this day.

The old school command line tools are the only ones affected.  One may
also notice it with `ssh -D` SOCKS5 proxying, but only if one's
browser doesn't decide to leak out hostname resolution and operate
directly with IPv4-addresses to start with, like Chrome does.

Cheers,
Constantine.SU.