The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

Matthew D. Hardeman mhardeman at ipifony.com
Sat Jan 23 01:27:57 UTC 2016

Bill,

I find that I agree with much of what you’ve said.

If we further constrain the arguments that you set forth so as to cover only that traffic which the customers of the two networks would be able to exchange in any event, by way of transit services purchased by one or the other of the two networks, then I agree wholeheartedly, at least on a purely logical basis.

In that instance, the traffic is exchanged regardless (though often over links that saturate at peaks) and furthermore at additional expense to one or both of the networks involved.

From a logical perspective, if two networks will permit their subscribers to exchange data, why would those two networks not elect the least cost, highest quality mechanism for exchanging that traffic?

I can only think of economic reasons, and specifically the hope for potential revenue from the other networks’ customer, because the parties have been unable to exchange data reliably over congested transit links.

Look, for example, to what was quite obviously the intentional peak-period congestion on various Comcast transit and peering links.

I’ve personally acted in a technical and administrative capacity in helping clients of mine (voice service providers) add private paid peering / paid customer links into Comcast just to overcome voice quality issues during peak periods resulting from clearly congested transit and peering links.  It was obvious during those arrangements that Comcast had chosen to allow those links to congest as a policy matter in order to extract additional revenue by charging desperate “new customers” a premium toll for access to their subscribers behind the wall-of-congestion.

What’s fundamentally different in this IPv6 only Hurricane Electric <-> Cogent matter is that rather than have the traffic flow via transit (whether congested or not), there is quite simply no path between those two IPv6 networks.  Hurricane Electric, clearly the IPv6 leader refuses to engage in the purchase of transit services for IPv6, and Cogent refuses to peer with HE on either protocol no matter what.  Thus, no flow of traffic between the two networks on IPv6.

Presumably Cogent’s policy is mostly about denying Hurricane Electric to the “Tier 1” club, on IPv6 that ship has sailed.  Let’s face it: when the really tough Tier 1s are peering with you (like Sprint, Level 3, AT&T), you’re in.  Even Sprint peers with HE on IPv6 (though they do not on IPv4).  Honestly, I think Cogent is the only hold-out.  At least the only one that matters.

In as far as HE maintains an open peering policy both for IPv4 and IPv6, it’s clear that Cogent is the bad actor, denying their customers a path to Hurricane Electric customers.  I think the only reason this has been tolerated so far is that IPv6 has been a fringe matter until now.  Even today it’s a minority of network traffic, but it’s gaining fast.

If I were Cogent, I’d be more worried about denying my customers access to HE’s IPv6 network than the other way around.

Matt Hardeman