The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri Jan 22 20:28:19 UTC 2016

Owen DeLong wrote:

> Crazy multihop BGP setups

I like that setup. And it never struck me as crazy. In fact, their
implementation avoids all multihop setup shortcuts and is quite purist
from a routing standpoint.

The multihop approach gives you the option of where to slice and dice
your full table direct from ebgp.

In essence, that setup enables you as a customer to have a setup exactly
like Cogent had as a vendor. If thats what you want.

> because they don’t do BGP on many (most?) of their customer facing routers?

I have a pending request to get that multi-hop setup. I was told that it
was now a special request and they would "try" to get it done and these
days all their routers had full table capacity and they no longer used
the multi-hop.