The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 22 10:26:05 UTC 2016

> On Jan 21, 2016, at 10:52 AM, Brandon Butterworth <brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> On Jan 21, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Matthew D. Hardeman <mhardeman at ipifony.com> wrote:
>>> Since Cogent is clearly the bad actor here (the burden being
>>> Cogent's to prove otherwise because HE is publicly on record as saying
>>> that theyd love to peer with Cogent)
>
> I'd like to peer with all tier 1's, they are thus all bad as
> they won't.
>
> HE decided they want to be transit free for v6 and set out on
> a campaign of providing free tunnels/transit/peering to establish
> this. Cogent, for all their faults, are free to not accept the
> offer.
>
> Can the Cogent bashing stop now, save it for when they do something
> properly bad.
>
> brandon

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I assure you that I am fully cognizant of
the fact that HE is not without its faults.

However, I think your description of the scenario is rather heavily skewed, especially
when you consider that Cogent is basically the only remaining major (I find it hard
to call them a tier 1 given their behavior) provider that still refuses SFI of any form
with HE.

Owen