de-peering for security sake

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Jan 20 06:06:13 UTC 2016

On January 19, 2016 at 10:12 moc at es.net (Michael O'Connor) wrote:
 > Why do we believe network administrators can advocate perfectly for
 > customer access?

Which is why I was advocating for some sort of generally agreed upon
standards and process written into contractual agreements.

This doesn't mean that someone has any inherent right to a private
company's (typically) resources, one could block whatever they please,
or nothing.

But when there's some agreement that there's been a consistent breech
of agreed-upon standards of behavior which should be responded to by
the broader community at least there'd be some guidance and process
beyond just urging everyone else to "de-peer" some sites on an
operations mailing list.

The goal would be setting standards for what is reasonable to send
(e.g., not DDoS), not what is received.

--
        -Barry Shein