de-peering for security sake

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Jan 17 21:09:15 UTC 2016

On 1/17/2016 12:44 PM, bzs at theworld.com wrote:
> We need an effective forum with effective participation perhaps
> eventually leading to signed contractual obligations agreed to by all
> parties.

Not gonna help. The same people who have no incentive to do the right
thing now will still have no incentive to join the group you propose.

I've said it before, and it's an unpopular option, but the only way that
this will change is to make it more expensive to do the wrong thing than
it is to do the right thing. That means lawsuits filed by companies that
have been harmed as a result of those that are not doing the right
thing. That will produce the incentives which will be recognized and
understood by all layers of management, and result in real action for
the better.

As nice as it would be if everyone were to do the right thing because
it's the right thing, we already have ample evidence that won't happen.
Time to stop pretending otherwise.

Doug