de-peering for security sake

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jan 16 19:01:36 UTC 2016

> The pessimistic side of me believes cloudflare and akamai want the internet
> to be choked with bots such that everyone must pay their toll, so the
> information on the bots is a trade secret... But please prove me wrong so
> we can drive higher accountability on the internet.

I am not speaking for Akamai here and I have nothing to do with dDOS product
development there.

However, I will say that there is great expense involved in collecting the kind
of data you are now asking them to aggregate and release for free and there is
commercial value in selling protection services.

However, just as there is great value in providing health care services, I doubt
that physicians are out there cheering for disease and affliction. I’m quite
certain we would all be happy to market other services in the absence of a need
for dDOS mitigation services.

However, if you want to see this kind of data captured and disseminated for free,
I suggest you build a consortium to do so and find a way to fund it. I have no
input into the decision, but I think it would be absurd for a commercial entity
to give away data which is so expensive to obtain.

Owen