de-peering for security sake

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sat Jan 16 14:53:40 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 05:43:56AM -0800, Ca By wrote:
> I see a great deal of folks on nanog clamoring to buy ddos gear. Packets
> are starting to become like spam email, where 90% are pure rubbish,   and
> us good guys have to spend a lot of money and time sorting signal from
> noise.

I've said this many times: abuse does not magically fall out of the sky.
It comes from hosts, on networks, run by people.  It is time -- well
past time -- to hold those people *personally* acountable.

Not doing so leaves us where we are today: millions -- heck, hundreds
of millions -- of dollars are being spent on defenses THAT WOULD NOT
BE NECESSARY if those people performed their jobs at a mere baseline
level of competence and diligence.

---rsk