Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Mon Jan 11 12:41:56 UTC 2016

Hi Vint,

> Op 11 jan. 2016, om 12:47 heeft Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> since google is a major implementor of IPv6, some people might claim this is an attempt to artificially inflate scores for Google sites. Sigh.

Sigh indeed. On the other hand: IPv6 is getting enough traction that it can't be considered a "Google thing".

A thought: Maybe Google could announce that because of the increasing scarcity of IPv4 addresses and the rise of global IPv6 deployment Google is considering to start taking IPv6 reachability into account later this year. That would give the possibility for Google to watch how people respond before actually changing anything, it would take away some arguments of those that blame Google for artificially inflating scores (they have been warned long in advance) and it would make SEO companies more aware of IPv6 so they can start pushing the ISPs and hosters to support IPv6.

Google already provides webmaster tools. Maybe showing a warning for websites that aren't reachable over IPv6 (or even worse: that have completely different content on IPv6) would be nice. Even if IPv6 reachability doesn't affect the page rank (yet) the number of users with IPv6+IPv4-CGN is growing so enabling IPv6 will have a positive impact on a growing number of eyeballs (see Facebook's experience with IPv6 performance). Showing warning messages on Google Webmaster Tools when the site is not reachable over IPv6 (and error messages when the IPv4 content is very different from the IPv6 content) would be nice.

Even if Google gets so much pushback that they decide not to go forward with this at this point in time it might already cause some good awareness for IPv6.

Even though IPv6 is growing all over the world I still think Google doing something like this would help a lot.

Cheers,
Sander