Binge On! - get your umbrellas out, stuff's hitting the fan.

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 03:00:48 UTC 2016

On Saturday, January 9, 2016, Constantine A. Murenin <mureninc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is not a lossless 480p we're talking about, and most Android
> phones have been through quite a few generations of having at least
> 720p, if not 1080p or 1440p, and 5" displays.  I wouldn't at all be so
> quick to dismiss that there's no difference.
>
> Also, according to http://www.lighterra.com/papers/videoencodingh264/,
> for a high-quality 480p, you're supposed to have a 2.5Mbps link to
> accommodate a 1.6Mbps stream; and a few providers already stream at or
> above 1.5Mbps for 480p, including BBC at 1500, ESPN at 2000, iTunes at
> 1500 and Netflix at 1050 or 1750 (1050 results in lower quality 480p).
> Being throttled at 1.5Mbps would mean that 480p video from any of
> these provides, if forced at 480p, would either result in just enough
> stuttering or buffering issues to ruin the experience, or will be
> automatically downgraded to 360p (which is still 1400 for ESPN,
> meaning, it might even go to 240p).
>
> Moreover, I have a feeling that on HSPA+ their new throttling results
> in below 480p resolution, because the network is no longer afforded to
> have the bursts to compensate for the occasional variability of the
> connection.  (Google Galaxy Nexus is HSPA+ and 720p.)  So much for
> 480p and the DVD quality.
>
> C.

To disabuse anyone on this list about how video is treated in mobile, Page
11 has a good reality check on how every major mobile provider in the usa
actively adjusts video

 https://www3.cs.stonybrook.edu/~phillipa/papers/traffic-diff_imc15.pdf

Given that world, my opinion is stepping down abr is the least intrusive
method, verses active transcoding .... Which modifies a copywrited work
between origin and consumer.

According to this tweet, "partners" control the bitrate to avoid exercising
abr , and thus no buffering

https://twitter.com/slidefuse/status/685373665882599424

So, that is a reasonable e2e approach given the world of mobile video....
Just talking from an engineering perspective. The alternative is that there
is quiet arms race between access providers and video providers as
described in the first link.

On 8 January 2016 at 20:25, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net <javascript:;>>