GPON vs. GEPON

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 03:48:48 UTC 2016

On 8 January 2016 at 19:46, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> OTOH, since the WiFi consortium took away the ability for consumers to
> easily
> differentiate (it’s all “n” or “ac” now regardless of frequency) and you
> have
> to really read the fine print on the side of the box to find a 5Ghz capable
> WAP at your local big box store, most consumers end up on 2.4Ghz because
> those
> are the least expensive routers on the shelf.

ac = 5 GHz.

The only dual frequency standard is 802.11n. But that has resolved itself
by now: any router only advertizing "n" is going to be a 2,4GHz only router
and even if you find a rare old model that was 5 GHz "n" it still sucks for
lacking "ac".

In our market everyone delivers "ac" routers by now. One reason for that is
that DSL now needs VDSL2 with vectoring and channel bonding, and this
brings you to a price point where you also want to get "ac" for little or
no extra. Or you are selling high speed internet and the user experience is
simply lacking without "ac".

But 5 GHz usage is still low because people have a ton of devices that are
2,4 GHz only. Even brand new laptops are sold without a 5 GHz radio. People
don't know that they have to check - it is oh but it has wifi and it is
brand new, therefore it must have support for the new standard you are
talking about! Sometimes we have to send someone out to the customer to
demonstrate how crappy his new purchase is.

Regards,

Baldur