Smokeping targets

Marco d'Itri md+nanog at Linux.IT
Thu Jan 7 16:13:58 UTC 2016

On Jan 07, Andrew Dampf <adampf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something I found that is helpful once you've gathered a list of targets is
> the following command for generating config to paste:
>
> traceroute -w 3 [IPaddress] | grep -v "*" | grep -v "traceroute" | sed -e
> 's/(//g' -e 's/)//g' | awk '{ gsub(/\./,"_",$2); print "++++ "$2"\nmenu =
> "$3"\ntitle = "$2" - "$3"\nhost = "$3"\n"}'
>
> That generates a valid output for configs to ping each hop along the way to
> your destination, which can be super useful. Not all of them allow ICMP but
> a decent amount do.
It is also super stupid, because routers reply to ICMP echo requests
with a very low priority: this introduces jitter which makes these
measurements unreliable.
If you are not monitoring a server then you are wasting your time.

(Also, it would be nice to have the owner permission before deciding to
permanently send a lot of ICMPs to a device.)

--
ciao,
Marco