Survey on Middlebox modeling and troubleshooting

Joe Hamelin joe at nethead.com
Thu Jan 7 01:47:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Zhang, Ying <ying.zhang13 at hpe.com> wrote:
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5SFP6G8

One issue that stopped me dead in your monkeysurvey was that you asked how
many "Middleboxes" I had without telling me what you consider a middlebox.
Then you go into questions that ask me to delve deep into the whitepapers
of how they work.  I work with a team that supports about 100 international
locations on a large MPLS network with Palo Alto, Ipanema, Cisco and
homebrew virtual machines.  For me to even try to answer your questions the
way you state would require me to schedule meetings with all network
stakeholders from across the globe. Trust me, we have enough meetings
already.  And I'm only on a small network of 30,000 users.   I think the
problem isn't what your are trying to learn, it's how you are asking.
There is no motivation for us to answer your survey, there is actually very
good security reasons why we wouldn't.  You don't explain what you are
trying to research but asking us to give, gratis, deep inside depth to our
deployments.  Most of us would have serious issues with our employers if we
gave out that info.

--
Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA, +1 (360) 474-7474