Survey on Middlebox modeling and troubleshooting

Zhang, Ying ying.zhang13 at hpe.com
Thu Jan 7 02:36:15 UTC 2016

 Hi Joe, William and Daniel,

Thank you for your suggestions and raising the concerns. Sorry for spamming the list. I thought resending will have it be seen by more people who might have missed the earlier ones. I fully understand the security concern as well. I will be more careful posting to the list next time.
Thanks!
-Ying

On Jan 7, 2016, at 9:47 AM, Joe Hamelin <joe at nethead.com<mailto:joe at nethead.com>> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Zhang, Ying <ying.zhang13 at hpe.com<mailto:ying.zhang13 at hpe.com>> wrote:
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5SFP6G8

One issue that stopped me dead in your monkeysurvey was that you asked how many "Middleboxes" I had without telling me what you consider a middlebox.  Then you go into questions that ask me to delve deep into the whitepapers of how they work.  I work with a team that supports about 100 international locations on a large MPLS network with Palo Alto, Ipanema, Cisco and homebrew virtual machines.  For me to even try to answer your questions the way you state would require me to schedule meetings with all network stakeholders from across the globe. Trust me, we have enough meetings already.  And I'm only on a small network of 30,000 users.   I think the problem isn't what your are trying to learn, it's how you are asking.  There is no motivation for us to answer your survey, there is actually very good security reasons why we wouldn't.  You don't explain what you are trying to research but asking us to give, gratis, deep inside depth to our deployments.  Most of us would have serious issues with our employers if we gave out that info.

--
Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA, +1 (360) 474-7474