Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jan 5 08:09:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I for one welcome the iOS update that brings v6 APN native access to my phone, or at least v4v6 APN setting.

That's not how it's done on Apple, they (together with the operator)
control the APN settings. There are several mobile networks that run
IPv4v6 on iOS (all LTE enabled devices support this) for almost a year (I
believe it was iOS 8.3 in March 2015 that started to support this for more
general 3GPP providers).

But getting IPv4v6 bearer working in a mobile network is non-trivial and
it still brings the CGN mess, so a lot of mobile providers prefer to
use IPv6 only with translation to reach IPv4 sites. That's where Cameron
is coming from, and it's perfectly understanable mode of operation.

Apple seems to be working to make IPv6 only+AFTR happen and I have good
hopes that they'll succeed in 2016.

To some other poster regarding IPv6 adoption by people settings up tunnels
etc. In my experience, if you put "enable IPv6"-button in the self-care
portal, around 1% will enable this. Very few are interested, and rightly
so. IPv6 needs to be engineered and enabled by the ISP as a normal part of
Internet access, not something the customer has to actively choose.

If the customer buys their own CPE and it doesn't support IPv6, well, then
that customer will have to fix that themselves, but the ISP needs to make
sure that whatever equipment/access they deliver, they need to support
IPv6 on it.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se