sFlow vs netFlow/IPFIX

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 23:15:55 UTC 2016

What HW are your looking at our are you rolling your own probes?  Router/switch HW almost never does both.   Netflow/IPFIX puts the flow intelligence in the router, but with that comes more limitations.

 Sflow typically uses more BW because you are sending headers for each packet.  The sflow collector also needs more intelligence since it's doing flow correlation, AS matching, etc. instead of the router doing it.  However it is more flexible since adding a new header, like vxlan or NSH is much easier to implement in some analysis SW than router SW.

Phil