Thank you, Comcast.

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Fri Feb 26 17:02:27 UTC 2016

Once upon a time, Brielle Bruns <bruns at 2mbit.com> said:
> >I'm fine with that. Residential customers shouldn't be running DNS
> >servers anyway and as far as the outside resolvers to go, ehhhh... I
> >see the case for OpenDNS given that you can use it to filter (though
> >that's easily bypassed), but not really for any others.
>

> Except that half the time people run their own DNS resolvers because
> their provider's resolvers are

Resolver != authoritative server.  Your local DNS resolver doesn't need
to be (and should not be) listening to port 53 on the Internet.  Only
DNS authoritative servers need to accept Internet traffic on port 53,
and almost nobody needs to be running one on a typical residential
connection (especially since residential IPs do change from time to
time).

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>