BGP MVPN RFC6513, Section 10

Yann Lejeune yann.lejeune at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 09:33:27 UTC 2016

Hi
To support the section §10 in your conf you have two choices:
a. (§10.1) implementing the RP on your PE (protocol pim rp local). It will
advertises the route type after pim register message (or msdp source active
from other RP is you have other rp in your network)
    + be sure to use spt-only mvpn mode (default one)

b. (§10.2) implementing an MSDP session between the RP and its PE
    each time the RP will learn a source (either because it receives a pim
register or a SA message from another RP (full meshing msdp between rp), it
will advertise route type 5 to the mVPN. This way receiver PE will learnt
source and if they received join (*,g), they will be able to advertise the
good route type 7 to the source PE. The required conf is:
        - msdp session between the pe and the rp
        - defining the rp address (protocols pim rp static....)
        - be sure to use spt-only mvpn mode (default one)

The route type 6 is used in another mode call rpt-spt, where you are closer
to the traditionnal multicast behavior (first we build the rp tree and
second we build the source tree). this mode must be enable explicitely per
routing-instance in the mvpn-mode knob. One thing: even in spt-only mode,
the junos will create a route type 6 when receiving a join (*,g) but will
not advertise it. It just wait to get a related route type 5

It's up to you to choose what mode you want to use:
- spt-only: is quite "simple". We only have (s,g) in the core. To validate
an os, it's faster.
- rpt-spt. We have both (*,g) and (s,g) in the core. the validation is more
complex, the protocol is more dynamic...

Regards,
Yann.