Thank you, Comcast.

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Feb 26 03:59:34 UTC 2016

SSDP, DNS and other amplification is a big issue for large consumer networks like Comcast.

This is something I’m hoping other vendors take seriously (eg: Netgear) when it comes to their usage of DNSMASQ and other tools on-box and iptables configs that promote spoofing by using IP ranges vs constraining rules with the ingress/egress interface.

It’s these simple amateur errors that can turn a port 53 redirect into a spoofing instance when it only passes the INPUT rule vs -t NAT rule.

Please block SSDP and Chargen on your networks.  Consider rate-limiting DNS & SNMP to 1% or something appropriate to avoid issues.

Make sure you permit TCP/53 for DNS queries so if TC=1 lookups work.

- Jared