About inetnum "ownership"

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Feb 22 16:57:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Jérôme Nicolle <jerome at ceriz.fr> wrote:
> It's my understanding that the IP adress space is nothing but numbers
> and that RIR/LIRs are only responsible for the uniqueness of allocations
> and assignements, that is, a transfer of liability over a shared and
> common immaterial resource, between community members.

Hi Jérôme,

The short version is this:

IP addresses are property. A few people get really bent out of shape
if you say that IP addresses are property. And while extant, the legal
precedent for IP addresses as property isn't as strong as might be
nice. So, we mostly pay lip service to the folks who still want to
claim that IP addresses are just integers even as we treat IP
addresses like property.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us