Softlayer / Blocking Cuba IP's ?

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Fri Feb 19 21:11:38 UTC 2016

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2016/02/11/ibm-softlayer-blocks-services-iran-us-lifts-sanctions/

This is likely the same situation.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Faisal Imtiaz" <faisal at snappytelecom.net>
To: "nanog list" <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 2:27:59 PM
Subject: Softlayer / Blocking Cuba IP's ?

Hello All,

This is a shout out to Softlayer Network Admin / Policy folks...

We just went thru a painful process to find out that Softlayer has recently decided to block Cuba IP Address Space....(on their cloud services).

I am not a politician, nor any kind of a policy expert, However I have a questions for the SoftLayer folks...

On What basis, legal requirement, logic, have they taken on the responsibility to implement such a Block ?

Considering the fact that such a block was just put in place about a week ago ?
Last time I checked, blocking any part of the world is not part of any legal requirements on any Global Service Provider ? other than a 'company policy' ?

Also, the Last time I checked the US Cuba relations are getting better not worse!

Would love to know what was the reasoning behind such action !

Thank you.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom