PCH Peering Paper

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 17 22:04:24 UTC 2016

> The premise above therefore devolves to: Since most of the traffic is to those networks, then most of the bits flow over contracted peerings.
>
> Perhaps “most” can be argued, but obviously a significant portion of all peering bits flow over contracted sessions. Hopefully we can all agree on that.

There’s greater complexity here, however…

Many of the bits that flow flow over several networks between their source and destination. Likely the vast majority of bits traverse at least 3 autonomous systems in the process.

So when you want to count traffic that went over a non-contract peering session vs. traffic that went over a contract peering session, how do you count traffic that traverses some of each?

Owen