Change re ARIN RPKI Relying Party TAL access

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 5 19:24:40 UTC 2016

On Feb 5, 2016, at 10:52 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:
>> Can you explain in layman terms what the legal consequences of this
>> change are?
>
> Hi Job,
>
> In layman's terms, the difference is that you're now free to deal with
> the RPKI TAL the same way you deal with the legal issues surrounding
> access to ARIN's public whois data -- by ignoring them but not being
> so dumb as to sue ARIN if something goes wrong.
>
> Note that I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice and no lawyer
> will ever tell you to ignore legal ramifications even when practically
> speaking that's the correct thing to do.

Bill -

Note that we do send notices and follow up when we receive reports of
egregious violations of the Whois terms of use, and will do similar for
violation of the RPA terms of use.  The terms don’t generally get in the
way of what operators want to do, but I’d like to think that’s more of
alignment of expectations rather than folks completely “ignoring them”.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO