Low density Juniper (or alternative) Edge

Jérôme Nicolle jerome at ceriz.fr
Tue Feb 2 22:19:36 UTC 2016

Hi David,

Le 02/02/2016 22:03, David Bass a écrit :
> Looking to see what others are using out there as an alternative to a Cisco ME3600X?

I'd rather use the ASR920, the ME3600X is too deep to fit in some PoPs.
It also has a higher 10G port count.

Alternatively, on low cost deployments, I used Mikrotik CCR1016-12S-1S+.
Lower density, though.

For higher 10G density, I like the Juniper EX4550. But when you have to
stick to a limited number of vendors, I guess you could consider the
Catalyst 6840 line. Never had one to play with, though.

I'm currently evaluating another alternative : the Nokia-Alcatel-Lucent
ISAM 7360FX chassis (4 to 16 slots) with either P2P (36 client lines per
slot) or PON (up to 16 ports/slot), and a Mikrotik CCR1072 right behind
to encapsulate L2 circuits. It's, by far, the denser and cheapest way to
provide more than a few hundred 100M-1Gbps circuits per PoP.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle