Cable Operator List

Alex Brooks askoorb+nanog at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:21:25 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 2 February 2016 at 15:47, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> I would honestly perfer something that was hardened for outdoor use. Think
> garden style apartments. What is the best for something like that?

It depends where you are going to be deploying these things, northern
New York state?  Arizona?  There's a reason curbside cabinets exist.

> Comparing DOCIS 3 to VDSL2, the modems and CMTS appear to be more cost
> effective per customer. G.FAST I have  not seen pricing on, but I expect it
> to be more than VDSL2.
>
> Any reasons not to use EURO DOCSIS in the USA? Looks like it offers more
> speeds by using fatter channels. We don't plan on offering TV, but even if
> we did couldn't we just start the channels at a higher range, and still use
> EURO DOCSIS?

In the UK, half the country is using EURODOCSIS, half DOCSIS
(historical reasons - the original companies had different ideas.  I
know that Liberty Global - who bought them all - can't wait for the
new 3.1 standard where there will be no difference).  One problem with
using the 'wrong' one is simply around signal leakage.  What happens
when some fool leaves an unterminated bit of coax lying around?  What
frequencies is this new areal broadcasting on?  Remember, even if the
customer is the one who unterminates the cable it's still your problem
to detect and fix.

You will need to get EURODOCSIS equipment (including CPE) that:
-Works on 110v (the EU uses 230v)
-Has an FCC sticker rather than a CE sticker
-Isn't going to break any FCC rules if used in EURODOCSIS mode
-Has support available in North America

The key differences are summarised at
https://www.excentis.com/blog/differences-between-us-docsis-and-eurodocsis-and-will-docsis-31-eliminate-them.
There a a lot more to it than the channel width!

On a separate note, remember that G.FAST is extremely sensitive to
dodgy wiring and line length.  If the local loop length length gets
near 500 yards you will be lucky to hit 150Mbps down.  Over 500 yards
and you will be lucky to hold sync outside of a lab.

Alex