microducts

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 21:45:02 UTC 2016

Hi

I am planing a new FTTH outside plant deployment. We are going to use
microducts but which system is the best? I see many resources describing
the options available but few if any will take a stance on which one to
choose.

Some of the choices are:

1) Ducts with larger fixed tubes for direct burial 12/8 mm. Typically 7
ducts in a larger tube.
2) Ducts with smaller fixed tubes 5/3,5 mm. Typically 24 small tubes
with one larger centre tube for backbone.
3) Ducts for direct burial arranged in a stripe side by side instead of
in a tube. 12/8 mm ducts. Makes it easier to access the tubes and avoids
problems with tubes of different length on the drum.

And many more variations.

I am planing to deploy in an area with the average distance between
houses of 10 meters (actually 20 meters but we can serve both sides of
the road from one walkway, so that makes it 10 meters average).

I want to support a low level of initial uptake of just 10%. The problem
is that most sources assume that I am planing for anything between 100%
and 50%. I do expect that we will get more customers than just 10%, but
the solution might become too expensive, if I have to pay all costs
upfront years before I have any hope of that many customers.

Some people say just put a lot of plastic down because it is so cheap.
But it really isn't. I need to put down the correct amount of tubes
because tubes are everything but cheap. I also need a system that is
easy and quick to work with because labour is very expensive (but also
very skilled) around here.

I would appreciate any pointers to articles about this subject.

Regards,

Baldur