DWDM on 250 Km dark fiber without re-amplification

Robert Jacobs rjacobs at pslightwave.com
Tue Dec 27 23:20:46 UTC 2016

Polarization and dispersion will come into play at these distances if you plan on running a DWDM system.  In that world you get what you pay for as a rule.  The more expensive gear is more forgiving to fiber that is not 100 % up to high quality.  Most small one or two RU gear from all the vendors mentioned have 100 gig cards that will be 100 gig on the DWDM side and break it out to 10 sfp Plus ten gig ports for the client side.  Another thing to look for in this is link down propergation ... you will want the client facing links on both sides of the optical span to go down if the span goes down.  Good luck with your quest