DWDM on 250 Km dark fiber without re-amplification

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 19:30:40 UTC 2016

Hello

I have not done this as our links are not that long. However in theory
this is how I would do it. There are nice integrated solutions that will
do it as a black box, but someone else will have to tell you about that.
I am using Fiberstore as a reference because they have the necessary
components with pricing directly online, but there is of course multiple
alternatives.

So first off forget about 40G and 100G. This will be N x 10G and N can
be as large as 96 channels. 100G would be the same equipment (possibly
without dispersion compensation) but with each 100G stream as four 25G
wavelengths. However the optics are very expensive and hard to get for
40G and 100G while 10G is relatively cheap and easy.

You need the following components:

http://www.fs.com/support/dwdm-edfa-amplifier-for-long-haul-applications-100

They list all you need with a nice drawing. Get the components from them
or someone else. The nice integrated solutions are just these components
in a box.

They only list the solution as 200 km. You will have to send them a mail
and ask if they can do 225 km.

Also you need to check that the black fiber provider allows amplified
signals at this level. Not everyone do. Normally the signals are not
that dangerous, but with this a unaware tech can go blind if he is
unlucky. It is not clear if the Fiberstore equipment automatically turns
of the laser in the case of a fiber cut and that might also be a
requirement.

Regards,

Baldur