Canada joins the 21st century !

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Fri Dec 23 16:11:25 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-23 10:37, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> It would certainly suck to be an ISP in Canada and be forced to fund
> your competitors. Or does Canada not have any small privately run ISPs
> like we do in the US?

We not only have smaller ISPs, but also a wholesale framework where ISPs
can purchase access to last mile from the incumbents (telco and cable).

The current plan (which will be defined in a subsequent proceeding)
calls for any ISPs with more than 10 million in revenues to contribute
to the fund, the amount being a percentage of their revenues.

The percentage will be adjusted annually to cause contributions to the
fund to total the desired amount  ($100 million on year 1, increasing by
$25m until iut reaches $200).

And yeah, this means ISPs contribute money which will be used by a
competitor to deploy in rural areas.

Of course, since we're talking about billions to get all Canadians
connected, this is peanuts.