Recent NTP pool traffic increase

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri Dec 23 00:11:09 UTC 2016

> On Dec 20, 2016, at 8:02 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at nwtime.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/20/16 7:27 PM, Laurent Dumont wrote:
>> To be honest, the fact that NTP is still something managed by volunteers
>> and not a regulated entity (a bit like DNS) is mind boggling.
>
> Time *is* managed by regulated entities - the National Time Labs.

That was pretty clearly not what Laurent was talking about.

> And Network Time Foundation's NTP Project (the reference implementation
> for NTP) could do lots more if we had a useful budget.
>
> Folks pay money for DNS registrations.  There's no revenue stream around
> "time".
>
> Help us get enough support to NTF, and we'll have the staff and
> infrastructure to do more for folks.

What does the NTF have to do with the NTP Pool (or the “recent NTP pool traffic increase”)?

The NTP Pool is run by volunteers, as you very well know. Both the management and DNS system and the thousands of people who contribute their NTP service to the system. (And we manage on a pretty scarce budget).

Ask

--
http://www.askask.com