Recent NTP pool traffic increase

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Wed Dec 21 05:19:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Yury Shefer <shefys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Google announced public NTP service some time ago:
> https://developers.google.com/time/

Leap smearing does look interesting as way to sidestep the
potentially-jarring leap-second problem ... but a note of caution.

I've had multiple time geeks tell me that leap-smearing is pretty
different from strict-RFC NTP, and Google themselves say on that page:

"We recommend that you don’t configure Google Public NTP together with
non-leap-smearing NTP servers."

So it looks like we shouldn't mix and match. And since most folks
should probably want some heterogeneity in their NTP, it may be a
little premature to jump on the leap-smear bandwagon just yet.

I'm vague on the details, so I could be wrong.

Does anyone know of any other (non Google) leap-smearing NTP implementations?

Royce