Favorite Speed Test Systems

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:33:17 UTC 2016

On 05-12-2016 16:34, Nick Ryce wrote:
> For testing downloads, fast.com is pretty nice

The problem with fast.com is that they use HTTPS for the test. The user
needs a fast computer to decode the SSL at full speed. Even if you have
a very fast computer the test will max out at 100-200 Mbps because the
Netflix servers are apparently not able to encode SSL any faster. Maybe
we would get better speed if multiple SSL connections were used.

I just did a test on fast.com and got 150 Mbps. Click the compare on
speedtest.net button and I got 940 Mbps at beta.speedtest.net. The
computer is Intel i7 5820K, the OS is Ubuntu 16.04 and the internet is 1
Gbps delivered on GPON. The test runs on IPv6.

We are directly peered with Netflix with 2x10G and there is plenty of
capacity. It appears fast.com is on Akamai but the test itself is
downloading data via our peering.

Regards,

Baldur