Acquiring unused IP range. Some questions

William McLendon wimclend at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 22:43:57 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

we are about to acquire a block of IP’s from another organization that has unused space, and being fairly new to these procedures, I was hoping for some guidance.

We have already been pre-approved by ARIN for the block size we are acquiring, and finalizing the deal with the current owner of the address space.  First question is, once they initiate the transfer request to transfer the IP range to us, how long does that typically take for ARIN to complete?

Secondly, our relationship with the IP block owner is a very good one, such that I think they would be ok with us advertising this block before we technically own it.  My question is, what do they and we need to do to accomplish that in the proper way, so that the internet at large would accept the advertisement from a different ASN, and not view as some sort of hijacking, etc.  I am guessing they may need to update some RADB or something like that, but i’ll be honest my knowledge of how those things work and their complete function is pretty slim.

This would be a short term thing as we expect the purchase process to complete pretty quickly, but it would be advantageous to us to be able to advertise the space immediately.  We just want to make sure we start off on the right foot.

Thanks,

Will