Forwarding issues related to MACs starting with a 4 or a 6 (Was: [c-nsp] Wierd MPLS/VPLS issue)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Dec 2 17:32:37 UTC 2016

In a message written on Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 03:32:13PM +0100, Job Snijders wrote:
> Dear Vendors, take this issue more serious. Realise that for operators
> these issues are _extremely_ hard to debug, this is an expensive time
> sink. Some of these issues are only visible under very specific, rare
> circumstances, much like chasing phantoms. So take every vague report of
> "mysterious" packetloss, or packet reordering at face value and
> immediately dispatch smart people to delve into whether your software or
> hardware makes wrong assumptions based on encountering a 4 or a 6
> somewhere in the frame.

I also do not think this is an IEEE/MAC assignement problem.  This
is a vendor's box can't forward a particular payload problem.

If I had boxes with this issue, I would be talking to my vendor
about how:

  a) They were going to replace every single one of them with something
     that does not have the bug.

  b) What discount I would get on mainteance/support for having to swap
     all of the devices.

Then I would follow it up with the other vendors I'm talking to
about all of my future purchases if they are unable to produce boxes
that work.  And if the vendor who supplied these did not fix it, I
would give them no more business.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org