Avalanche botnet takedown

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Fri Dec 2 00:24:28 UTC 2016

I'm just assuming this because it doesn't say anywhere,
but given the context it seems likely to me that almost
none of the 900000 domains were actually registered.

It sounds more likely that they figured out how the domain generation
algorithm works and instructed the registries to block out all the
possible domains it could generate (preventing them from being
registered
in the future).. along with also going after the registrars to disable a
much smaller
number of domains that were actually currently registered.

Could be the 0.01% were the ones that were actually registered.

Rob