Don't press the big red buttom on the wall!

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Wed Aug 31 01:01:59 UTC 2016

On 8/30/2016 15:46, bzs at theworld.com wrote:

> About the worst that ever happened to me was a security guy's
> walkie-talkie setting off an instant Halon drop. Cost about $10,000 to
> refill and was fairly exciting for those present. That also cut the
> machine room's power.
>
> At least it didn't set off the sprinkler system.
>
> We sat down with the Halon system vendor to find out why that happened
> after proving, on a by-passed system, that yes indeed one of these
> common walkie-talkies sets the thing off.
>
> File under: More Things To Worry About!

We used to have to drive across a quarry to get to a repeater station
(or to one of the cables, which was "aerial" across the quarry), and
lots of folks scoffed at the "turn off two-way radios" signs as we
approached the area.

I did not scoff.

--
"Everybody is a genius.  But if you judge a fish by
its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole

--Albert Einstein

 From Larry's Cox account.