Cloudflare reverse DNS SERVFAIL, normal?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Aug 30 22:50:03 UTC 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:39:10 -0700, Owen DeLong said:

> I run a pair of nameservers. Let’s call them ns1.company.com
> and ns2.company.com

> Someone registers example.com and points NS records in the COM zone at my
> nameservers.

I would have expected that the resulting NXDOMAIN replies from ns1 and ns2
would usually make this a self-correcting problem.

Are there actually people who do this misconfiguration on a zone big enough
for the traffic to matter, and leave it that way for very long before they
clue in that things aren't working right?  I'd think that if somebody points
billy-bobs-bait-tackle-and-internet.com at you, it might take you quite some
time to notice - and if somebody whoopsies and points ebay.com's NS records
at you, the resulting disfunction would be noticed fairly soon....

(Miscreants who do this intentionally are, of course, a totally different
kettle of fish, and need to be dealt with as micreants....)