Why the internal network delays, Gmail?

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Aug 26 23:16:21 UTC 2016

Hi Mel, There's another mailing list called 'mailop' which is probably
more appropriate for email related problems, than NANOG.

And in response to Nate:

> I was in contact with Google and after some convincing and detailed header
> information, they acknowledged that they are having internal MX issues and
> assure me that they will deal with the issue promptly.
>
> Initially they did not even acknowledge that there was a problem, so it
> took several tiers of support people to finally see the issue.
>
> I look forward to the ongoing exchanges on the list.

Useful to know, but John is right - as cited, working through Google's
support process, got somewhere.
Further exchanges on NANOG are probably inappropriate.  A group like
'mailop' probably has a higher care factor, however.

(I would also note that email delays that are demonstratably outside of
your network (as headers will show) are very easily painted as something
beyond your control, and the nature of email is very much 'best effort',
so anyone playing the blame game needs a reality check. Just because
email exchanges 'are often' near-instantaneous, does not mean they
always will be.)

Mark.

On 27/08/2016 8:53 a.m., Mel Beckman wrote:
> John,
>
> With all due respect, it's S.O.P. for Nanogen to ask the list if anyone else is experiencing a particular problem with some carrier or another. So Nate's question is totally appropriate for this list. I know I've solved several problems by airing them here and getting insight from other list members.
>
> -mel beckman

*snip*