What's the meaning of virtual POP ?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Aug 24 08:57:42 UTC 2016

On 24/Aug/16 01:20, Yucong Sun wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I understand on layer 2 or like william point out (on anything other than
> IP) it make total sense.
>
> However on layer 3, with existing transit bandwith with said provider it
> would be redudant. (Assume The one you wanted peer at site b is already
> peering with your provider).

The term "virtual PoP" is more commercial than it is technical.

As William mentioned, you are providing services via someone else's
infrastructure. It is between you and that other network to determine
how much of their infrastructure you will depend on.

But ultimately, the objective is for you to reduce your exposure in what
you would consider a new venture that still needs some proofing.

Mark.