Arista unqualified SFP

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:59:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 08:05:30 -0400, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim at gmail.com>
wrote:
> "As I'm sure you know, Arista is not the only manufacturer that has made
> this choice. Unlike our competition, we work to make our optics pricing
> competitive, but we'll never be as low as the "Taiwan specials" that you
> see floating around. I have another customer that was flashing white
> label
> optics that just made the decision to start using Arista labeled optics
> again because they were tired of bad quality."

I can't count the number of times I've seen this BS from vendors. I'm not
buying crap made in a shack out in a rain forest. I'm buying the same
f'ing optics from the same f'ing people as the vendor. (Finisar, Infineon,
etc.) The only difference between my $10 optic and their $300 optic is the
value in an EEPROM and the logo on the label.

(I know from experience, the numbers on the price sheet are inflated so
sales can maintain the illusion of "deep customer discounts". As the
saying goes, only an idiot pays list price.)