Advertising rented IPv4 prefix from a different ASN.

Bob Evans bob at FiberInternetCenter.com
Fri Aug 5 13:57:16 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

It is possible, but I would do it....Here is how and why.
If they announce the larger CDIR you will need to keep them as one of you
ISP's or you risk losing traffic due to other's inbound policy filtering.
However, if they provide you a simple Letter of Authorization to announce
the smaller rented CDIR you can use this letter to show other networks
that you have the right to announce it and they can email/call to confirm.
By announcing the smaller CDIR to others you should see the bulk of the
traffic come in via the other backbones. You can "not reliably" multi-home
the IPs without keeping the institution as one of your backbone providers
(reason I wouldn't do it). You will always need a peering session with
them where you announce to them your CDIR or they static route that
traffic to you.

Thank You
Bob Evans
CTO