BGP FlowSpec

Martin Bacher ti14m028 at technikum-wien.at
Fri Apr 29 09:02:35 UTC 2016

Hello Tyler,

thanks for your reply.

> Am 28.04.2016 um 17:37 schrieb Tyler Haske <tyler.haske at gmail.com>:
>
> Martin,
>

> > Last but not least: I am also looking for anonymized statistical data about DDoS attacks which I could use in the thesis. I am mainly interested in data about the
> > type of attacks, attack time, sources, source and destination ports, and so on. I know this something which is generally not shared, so I would really appreciate it if
> > someone would be able to share such data.
>
> Many companies are extremely reluctant to share their attack data. But that's OK, because there are other ways to get it.
>
> Have you investigated backscatter analysis? It's used to see ongoing and current Internet scope DDoS attacks.
I just had a look on that and thought that its only be able to detect some of the attacks. You might not detect large state of the art reflection and amplification attacks with that method. But i think it is useful for some sort of attacks like SYN flood. Do you agree?

> Inferring Internet Denial of Service Activity
> https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~savage/papers/UsenixSec01.pdf
>
> Analyzing Large DDoS Attacks Using Multiple Data Sources
> https://www.cs.utah.edu/~kobus/docs/ddos.lsad.pdf
>
> ISP Security - Real World Techniques
> https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog23/presentations/greene.ppt
>
> A Summary of DoS/DDoS Prevention, Monitoring and Mitigation Techniques in a Service Provider Environment
> https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/intrusion/summary-dos-ddos-prevention-monitoring-mitigation-techniques-service-provider-enviro-1212
>
> Maybe you have access to some public IPs, then you can do this data collection yourself.
Sure, I will definitely think about hat.

Thanks again for your reply and for providing the links.

Greetings,
Martin