Arista Routing Solutions

Ryan Woolley rwoolleynanog at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 02:21:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:33 AM, lincoln dale <ltd at interlink.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Peter Kranz <pkranz at unwiredltd.com>
> wrote:
>
>>         Curious if you have any thoughts on the longevity of the 7500R
>> and 7280R survival's with IPv4 full tables? How full are you seeing the
>> TCAM getting today (I'm assuming they are doing some form of selective
>> download)? And if we are currently adding 100k/routes a year, how much
>> longer will it last?
>
> [...]
>
> One could ask Geoff Huston where he thinks combined IPv4+v6 will exceed 1M
> entries but I would expect it to be many years away based on
> http://bgp.potaroo.net/ and we'd welcome discussions about if it you want
> to know our opinion [*] on how we're doing it will scale.  What we're doing
> doesn't explode at 1M, there's headroom in it hence why we say "1M+". Again
> we're happy to talk about it, just ask your friendly arista person and if
> you don't know who to ask, ask me and i'll put you in touch with the right
> folks.

Peter, I'd point you to https://labs.apnic.net/?p=767 for more historical
detail and a table with some (recent) predictions.  The summary is that the
rate is mostly linear at around 10% per year and even 1MM routes lasts
quite comfortably beyond 5 years at the current growth rate.  I am not
particularly worried about the table growth rate (or Moore's law) changing
dramatically.

With respect to the utilization of the hardware, our setup is basically the
same as Lincoln's scenario #1 and so utilization looks about the same, on
both platforms.