NCS5K?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Apr 26 17:35:29 UTC 2016

On 26 April 2016 at 07:02, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you actually think that Cisco would sell at NCS 5501 at the price point
> that Arista is going to sell a 7280R for? Spec wise they are very similar
> (except Arista has 8 more SFP+ ports and two more 100G ports). Arista is
> pricing the 7280R inline with Ciscos ASR9001. I doubt Cisco will offer a
> NCS 5501 for the same price as an ASR9001.

This seems more question to economists than network engineers. But the
rudimentary understanding I have of free market it means that
competitors cannot sell products competing for same customers at
significantly different price point. On micro-level this may not be
true, we can find anecdotal examples of vastly differences prices for
similar products but on macro-level I'm sure Cisco, Arista, Alu,
Huawei, Juniper etc are all competitive, I base this solely on the
fact that they do exist (albeit Huawei may get unfair tax kick-backs
to enhance its competitiveness).

--
  ++ytti