NCS5K?

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Tue Apr 26 13:27:58 UTC 2016

On 26/04/16 02:03, Tom Hill wrote:
> On 19/04/16 14:46, Chris Welti wrote:
>> According to some slides from a russian cisco connect event, the
>> upcoming small-size NCS 5501 and NCS 5502 will support 1M+ FIB and
>> 50ms per port buffers. Seem to be killer boxes. 48x100GE in 2RU with
>> large FIB & buffers? Loving it already. I wonder what prices will
>> look like for those.
>
> I'd heard rumours... But those are interesting specifications. The
> NCS5501 isn't too far away from the Arista 7280R, and is probably
> Jericho underneath, too. But with a good MPLS stack, as is the case for
> the other NCS devices.

Judging from the NCS 5001 configuration guides they (NCS5K) don't support
any VPLS, is that correct? Just EoMPLS?

> Some might be thinking "9001 upgrade!" but it's more likely direct
> competition to Arista's recent moves. That and I still hope there will
> be a MOD200-ish 9001 replacement to come at some point.

I had hoped for MOD400-ish 9001 replacement for a while,
however, I was told an ASR9001 successor is highly unlikely
in the next few years unless a very large customer asks for it.

> Oh - and it's NCS 55k, not NCS 5k. The NCS 5508 is already a product,
> noted for its better buffers than the NCS 5001 & 5002 (which also
> already exist).

Does the NCS 5508 support VPLS?

--
Chris